Samsung Electronics said on Thursday it will convene a board meeting on Friday to consider a new shareholder return plan, after a South Korean media report estimated the package could exceed $70 billion.
The world’s largest memory chipmaker has faced mounting calls from investors to distribute a greater share of its AI-driven earnings through dividends and buybacks. A source familiar with the matter said the package under discussion could be a “significant amount,” though a Samsung spokesperson declined to comment.
The board meeting is scheduled to take place after market hours on Friday, according to the source. South Korean outlet MoneyToday previously reported that Samsung plans to announce its new policy later this month.
The development comes as rival SK Hynix disclosed plans to buy back and cancel 40 trillion won ($28.61 billion) of treasury shares. The South Korean chipmaker also pledged to allocate more than 50% of its free cash flow generated between 2025 and 2027 to boost shareholder returns.
Both companies have come under pressure to reward shareholders despite record profits, as investors question whether AI investments are translating into sufficient returns.












